On the day a student returns to school, he/she is to bring a note signed by his/her parent or guardian explaining the absence from school to the attendance office. The note should include the date, reason, parent signature, and phone number. Notes must be received within 2 days of the absence. A doctor’s note is required after ten (10) parent notes. Please keep in mind absent notes that vaguely reference family emergency will not be excused. Also, if a student is out more than three consecutive days, a doctor’s note is required. Doctor offices can fax the documentation to the attendance office (770) 554-7110.
Georgia State Board of Education Rule 160-5-1-10 defines the following absences as excused:
- Personal Illness
- A serious illness or death in a student’s immediate family
- Court order or an order by a government agency
- Observing religious holidays
- Visitation with a parent prior to or during leave from deployment to a combat zone or combat support posting as a member of the armed forces of the U.S. or the National Guard
Students are considered tardy if they arrive to school or class after the designated late bell has sounded. All tardy students are to report to the attendance office. Attendance personnel will classify the tardy excused or unexcused and issue a pass to class. Please keep in mind tardy notes that vaguely reference family emergency will not be excused. After six excused tardies to school, students must bring a doctor’s note or the tardies will be unexcused and the student will receive appropriate consequences. A student with excessive tardies may have his/her parking privileges revoked at any time.
Check Out Procedures
All check outs are handled through the attendance office. Please bring a picture i.d., and state the reason for the check out. Office personnel will determine if the checkout is excused. Doctor notes will be required to check back in if the student is checked out for a doctor’s appointment. After a student has accumulated six (6) check outs per semester, a doctor’s note is required or the checkout will be unexcused. Please remember outside food from restaurants are not allowed to be brought back into the lunchroom or classroom. No student may be checked out after 1:45 pm. or on final exam days.
Early Dismissal Check Out Procedures
In order to expedite check outs, parents are encouraged to prearrange early dismissal when possible.
- Students should present the attendance office with a note (or send an early email to firstname.lastname@example.org) from the parent/guardian requesting permission to check out. The note should include a phone number for verification and is to be done before first period (between 6:55 a.m. and 7:15 a.m.).
- A prearranged check out slip will be given to the student indicating the time of day that they need to report to the attendance office for check out. All students must come by the Attendance Office before leaving campus.
- If the parent has NOT been contacted for verification, the parent is to come inside to check out the student.
It is best for students to choose to visit colleges during the weekend or summer and not to miss a school day for a college visit. If a junior or senior must go to a college during a school day, they will need to show proof of the college visit upon their return. Please ask for a note on the college letterhead or a brochure. Excused college visits are limited to three (3) per school year.
Extracurricular Events Policy
A student must be present for half the school day (7:15-10:30 am or 10:30 am-2:10 pm) to participate in an extracurricular event after school or that evening. This includes practices, productions, athletic events, etc. In order to participate in an event that is held on the weekend, a student must be present for half the day on Friday prior to the weekend.
Certificate of Enrollment
For students wishing to receive their driver's license, the Certificate of Enrollment and replacement ADAP certificates can be obtained in the following ways:
Certificate of Enrollment
Students can sign up for a Certificate of Enrollment in the Attendance Office before school, during their lunch, or after school. The cost is $3.00 and please allow two days for the certificate to be signed and notarized by a school representative. The Certificate is valid for 30 days following issuance.
ADAP CertificateStudents receive an ADAP Certificate upon completion of the Alcohol and Drug Awareness Program in Health class. If a second copy is needed, this Certificate can be requested from the Attendance Office at no charge. Please allow one day for processing this request.